The noun feminism can be countable or uncountable. In more general, commonly used, contexts, the plural form will also be feminism. However, in more specific contexts, the plural form can also be feminisms e.g. in reference to various types of feminisms or a collection of feminisms.
Is feminism a singular?
“Feminism” should therefore be conjugated in the plural. Indeed, “feminism” has always been made up of multiple currents, theories and ideas, sometimes in agreement, often in opposition.
Can feminist be plural?
The plural form of feminist is feminists.
What is feminism in one sentence?
1. a doctrine that advocates equal rights for women 2. the movement aimed at equal rights for women. (1) She had a lifelong commitment to feminism.
What is an adjective for feminism?
feministic. Of or relating to or in accordance with feminism.
Is feminism the same as gender equality?
Feminism is a set of ideologies, political, and social movements sharing a common goal of defining, creating and achieving equality among different sexes, mostly on the side of women. Gender equality, on the other hand, refers to a state where certain rights, freedoms, and opportunities are not affected by gender.
Who is called a feminist?
A feminist is someone who supports equal rights for women. … If you believe that women should have the same political, social, and economic rights as men, you are a feminist.
What is feminism According to Oxford dictionary?
/ˈfemənɪzəm/ /ˈfemənɪzəm/ [uncountable] the belief and aim that women should have the same rights and opportunities as men; the struggle to achieve this aim. the radical feminism of the 1970s.
Can men be feminists?
Recent polls. In 2001, a Gallup poll found that 20% of American men considered themselves feminists, with 75% saying they were not. A 2005 CBS poll found that 24% of men in the United States claim the term “feminist” is an insult.
Who is the biggest feminist?
Famous first-wave feminists
- Mary Wollstonecraft. A feminist philosopher and English writer, Mary Wollstonecraft (1759-1797) used her voice to fight for gender equality. …
- Sojourner Truth. …
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton. …
- Susan Brownell Anthony. …
- Emmeline Pankhurst. …
- Simone de Beauvoir. …
- Betty Friedan. …
- Gloria Steinem.
What is a sentence for feminist?
Feminist in a Sentence
1. If your brother strongly opposes to women being paid less than men for the same job, he’s likely a feminist. 2. She was a feminist who believed women had a right to take office and vote.
How do you use the word feminism?
Feminism sentence example
- By the late 1960s, feminism and the equal rights movement were in full swing. …
- Needless to say, the authors take a pretty dim view of feminism . …
- I also want to briefly challenge organizations on the revolutionary left such as the SWP who are critical of feminism and women’s autonomy.
Why do we need feminism in 2021?
Feminism is about supporting and empowering people, which is something that is still needed even in 2021. We have made great global strides towards gender equality but that doesn’t mean we should slow down now. There are inequalities prevalent in every country and in every society and thus a need for feminism.
What is the connotation of feminism?
Feminism is a doctrine, or principle, that states women should have rights equal to those of men, especially social and political rights. Because feminism is a doctrine, there are many different thoughts about what feminism actually means and how best to achieve the desired equality.
What type of noun is feminist?
A person who supports the equality of women with men. A member of a feminist political movement.
What kind of noun is feminist?
A social theory or political movement supporting the equality of both sexes in all aspects of public and private life; specifically, a theory or movement that argues that legal and social restrictions on females must be removed in order to bring about such equality.